The BIA represents over 90 per cent of the marine industry. Our members enable Australians to go boating, through the manufacture, wholesale or retail of products and services to the recreational boating consumer, and light commercial marine operators
BIA membership is diverse and broadly is comprised of six categories as follows:
- Manufacturers – of boats, components and systems
- Sales – of boats, engines, equipment and accessories
- Storage – marinas, dry stack and moorings
- Servicing – mechanics, shipwrights, electrical, trimming and more
- Services – insurance, consultants and more
- Tourism – boating holidays, boat hire, charter and events
The Houseboat Hirers (HHD) is a division of the Boating Industry Association, which represents around 800 businesses and 28,000 employees in the Australian recreational and light commercial marine industry
The HHD is dedicated to advancing the business interests of its members who are owners or operators of commercial houseboats, the majority of which are in fleet management status.
It also works to promote commercial houseboating as a safe and rewarding lifestyle and an integral part of the booming tourism and leisure economy in Australia. The leading houseboat holiday booking platform, houseboatbookings.com, is owned and operated by BIA on behalf of members.
Through its divisional role with the BIA, the HHD is in a powerful position to advocate locally, statewide and nationally on behalf of members on issues that will support and improve the sustainability and profitability of their businesses.
The HHD provides its members with direct engagement with all tiers of government, relevant agencies and related industry bodies to improve boating facilities and access to enjoyable, safe and environmentally sound houseboating experiences.
The benefits of BIA and HHD membership include a wide range of support services including:
- Listing on the top-ranking holiday booking website houseboatbookings.com
- Strategic multi-media and marketing programs to encourage participation in houseboating for the enjoyment of Australian families.
- Savings on marine industry business insurance products and support
- Receive discounted rates on MarineJobs.org.au, the industry dedicated jobs board
- Be recognised as a Member of the BIA with use of a dedicated logo and decals
- Be trusted by customers that you abide to the Code of Practice, building industry reputation and consumer confidence
- Networking opportunities and connections with like-minded businesses
- Access to trusted advice and guidance on environmental, industrial, workplace, legislative and regulatory issues.
- Keep up to date with what’s going on in the boating industry in Australia via the fortnightly BIA eNews, special updates to members and biannual industry magazine Logbook.
Move forward as a BIA Trade Member
As a Trade Member, you may be an employee of an existing BIA Member business or have set out on your own to build your own business. Either way, the package of benefits available to you as a Trade Member will ensure you are well-supported in the years ahead.
The BIA Trade Membership is a three-year membership, designed to keep you connected with industry and the BIA as you progress through your roles in a BIA Member business or develop your own business.
Programs & Products – Access industry initiatives
BIA Trade Members have access to a range of programs and products including:
- Marine Card – the industry work health and safety program that is your passport to access marine worksites around the country, valued at $165
- Travel insurance – comprehensive cover for all your business travel in Australia*, valued at over $1000
- Accreditation programs – participate in the BIA Safe Marine Business initiative via a BIA Member business
- MarineJobs.org.au – access the industry dedicated jobs board to seek out new team members to grow your business and keep informed about opportunities across the industry
- Two tickets to each BIA-owned boat show, including the show-piece Sydney International Boat Show.
Promotion – Get your business in front of relevant audiences
Be recognised as a Trade Member of the BIA with use of a dedicated logo and decals, plus a listing on the BIA website to promote your services to BIA audiences (boaters and industry).
Join your industry colleagues and promote your business at BIA Trade Member networking events.
Representation – Protecting and growing the marine industry
BIA proactively advocates to regulators, national and state bodies regarding issues such as boating participation and access, safety, infrastructure, storage, marine jobs, as well as appropriate boating rules, fees and charges. This work helps protect marine businesses’ interests and grow the industry.
BIA also invests in workforce development, ensuring pathways are in place that will allow members to access qualified talent for years to come.
Keep up to date with what’s going on in the boating industry in Australia via the fortnightly BIA eNews, special updates to members and biannual Logbook.
As a Trade Member, the BIA is here to support you in growing your business and working to becoming a full BIA Member with full membership benefits when you’re ready.
* Travel insurance is for the individual Trade Member only for trips beyond 100km from home/business starting point.